Class Section Creation and Join Codes
After completing initial setup in AP Registration and Ordering, the AP coordinator needs to create class sections if teachers haven't already done so. Class sections must be created as soon as possible, before classes begin.
Creating class sections
Class sections need to be created in AP Registration and Ordering to associate students with the classes and exams they’re taking.
The creation of class sections generates join codes (one unique join code per class section per school). Students use join codes to enroll in their class sections.
- Class sections can only be created for AP teachers who teach a course authorized through the AP Course Audit.
- Class sections must be created for all AP courses, even if there’s only one section for a course at your school.
- If you have students who will be taking an AP Exam at your school without taking the corresponding course at your school, you’ll need to create an exam only section for that subject.
Creating exam only sections
You’ll need to create an exam only section if your school administers AP Exams to students who aren’t enrolled in a course at your school, for instance:
- Independent/self-study students attending your school who want to take an exam for a course they’re not enrolled in
- Students who attend another school but want to test at your school
- Homeschooled students who will be testing at your school
- Virtual school students who will be testing at your school
Learn more about ordering exams for these students.
Only AP coordinators can create exam only sections; teachers can’t create them.
It’s recommended you create a separate exam only section for each exam subject that homeschooled, independent study, and/or virtual school students will be taking at your school. You may want to include information—such as “homeschooled”—in these exam only section names to help with your tracking.
A unique alphanumeric join code is automatically generated for each class section or exam only section created in AP Registration and Ordering. Communicate with your school’s AP teachers to let them know when you’ve created class sections. Teachers then sign in to myap.collegeboard.org or AP Central to access the join code for each class section they teach.
Only AP coordinators can provide the join code to students in an exam only section. These students need the join code for the exam only section so they can confirm their enrollment and be included in the exam order.
For more information about class sections, exam only sections, and join codes, please refer to the AP Coordinator’s Manual, Part 1 (.pdf/19.6 MB).
AP Coordinator’s Manual, Part 1, 2022-23
This manual provides detailed information about everything AP coordinators need to do from the start of the school year through the November 15 exam ordering deadline.
For Coordinators: Setup, Enrollment, and Ordering
An overview and timeline of the steps teachers, coordinators, and students need to take before the final ordering deadline.
For Teachers: Helping Students Join Your AP Class Section
Learn how to get class join codes and ensure students have joined your class section. Includes tips for AP Daily, topic questions, and progress checks.
For Students: Joining Your AP Class Section
An assignment students receive from their AP teacher on the first day of class: includes step-by-step instructions for joining their teacher's class section online.