Exam questions assess the course concepts and skills outlined in the course framework. For more information, download the AP Statistics Course and Exam Description (CED).
Encourage your students to visit the AP Statistics student page for exam information.
The AP Statistics Exam has consistent question types, weighting, and scoring guidelines every year, so you and your students know what to expect on exam day.
Section I: Multiple Choice
40 Questions | 1 Hour 30 Minutes | 50% of Exam Score
Individual questions or sets of questions based on a shared prompt
Section II: Free Response
6 Questions | 1 Hour 30 Minutes | 50% of Exam Score
- 1 multipart question with a primary focus on collecting data
- 1 multipart question with a primary focus on exploring data
- 1 multipart question with a primary focus on probability and sampling distributions
- 1 question with a primary focus on inference
- 1 question that combines 2 or more skill categories
- 1 investigative task that assesses multiple skill categories and content areas, focusing on the application of skills and content in new contexts or in non-routine ways
AP Calculator Policy
A four-function, scientific, or graphing calculator with statistical computation capability is expected on both sections of the exam.
AP Exams Calculator Policy
Make sure you and your students know what calculators are permitted.
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
2023: Free-Response Questions
Samples and Commentary
Past Exam Questions and Scoring Information
AP Statistics Past Exam Questions
View free-response questions and scoring information from past exams.