Preparing Students for the Exam
Starting August 1, students and teachers will have new resources and a daily support tool called AP Classroom to use throughout the year. Designed and tested in collaboration with AP teachers, these resources include unit guides that cover the content and skills assessed on the exam, progress checks and a dashboard to highlight strengths and opportunities for growth, and a question bank of real AP questions.
- Thu, May 7, 2020
AP Chemistry Exam Day
The AP Chemistry Exam will continue to have consistent question types, weighting, and scoring guidelines every year, so you and your students know what to expect on exam day. The overall format of the exam—including the weighting, timing, and number of questions in each exam section—won’t change.
Section 1: Multiple Choice
60 Questions | 1 Hour 30 minutes | 50% of Exam Score
- Questions are either discrete questions or question sets, in which students are provided with a stimulus or a set of data and a series of related questions.
- A calculator is not permitted on Section 1.
Section 2: Free Response
7 Questions | 1 Hour 45 Minutes | 50% of Exam Score
- There are 3 long-answer and 4 short-answer questions. Long-answer questions are worth 10 points each; short-answer questions are worth 4 points each.
- The questions assess all 6 of the course skills: models and representations, question and method, representing data and phenomena, model analysis, mathematical routines, and argumentation.
A scientific or graphing calculator is recommended for use on Section 2.
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
For free-response questions (FRQs) from the 2019 exam, along with scoring information, check out the table below.
Be sure to review the Chief Reader Report. In this invaluable resource, the chief reader of the AP Exam compiles feedback from members of the AP Reading leadership to explain how students performed on the FRQs, summarize typical student errors, and address specific concepts and content with which students have struggled the most that year.
New Exam Resources
Beginning in August 2019, you’ll have access to the full range of questions from past exams in AP Classroom. You’ll have access to:
- an online library of AP questions relevant to your course
- personal progress checks with new formative questions
- a dashboard to display results from progress checks and provide real-time insights
Coming Soon: Scoring Guidelines for CED Sample Free-Response Questions
Scoring guidelines for the sample exam questions within the AP Chemistry Course and Exam Description will be posted later this summer.