Lab Manual Overview
AP Biology Investigative Labs: An Inquiry-Based Approach was developed in collaboration with AP teachers, inquiry experts, and higher education faculty to support teachers in implementing the new focus on inquiry in their biology labs.
The manual's unique design enables teachers to guide students through experiments and procedures that are easily tailored to diverse needs and appropriate for small and large classes.
The Lab Manual
- Features 13 student-directed, inquiry-based labs (teacher and student editions)
- Aligns learning objectives with the AP Biology Course and Exam Description, which contains the curriculum framework and sample exam questions
- Aligns with best practices promoted by the National Science Foundation and America's Lab Report
- Emphasizes scientific inquiry, reasoning, and critical thinking
- Enables students to plan, direct, and integrate a range of science practices, such as designing experiments, collecting data, and applying quantitative skills
- Includes lists of supplemental resources
Supplement to the First Printing (2013)
This Supplement to the First Printing of the lab manual includes updated URLs, corrections, clarifications, sample data tables for Investigation 7, and an updated version of the AP Biology Equations and Formulas appendix.
The second printing of the Teacher Manual (available for download below) and the Student Manual incorporates these changes. Both of these resources are available on the College Board Store.
Access the Lab Manual
You can download the full AP Biology Teacher lab manual, which includes the Student Lab Manual. Download the individual labs and appendixes by clicking on their specific titles.
Lab Manual Resources
To access the data files needed for Big Idea 1: Evolution, Investigative Lab 3: Comparing DNA Sequences to Understand Evolutionary Relationships with BLAST, follow the directions below.
Click on the files, select Download, and then save the zip file to your computer. Once the zip file is saved, unpack it by saving the individual file.
- Go to the BLAST site
- Click on the Saved Strategies from the menu at the top of the page
- Under Upload Search Strategy, click on Browse and locate one of the gene files you saved onto your computer
- Click View
A screen will appear with the parameters for your query already configured.
Important Note: Do not alter any of the parameters. Scroll down the page and click on the BLAST button at the bottom. After collecting and analyzing all of the data for that particular gene, repeat this procedure for the other two gene sequences.