Lab Manual Overview
The AP Biology Investigative Labs: An Inquiry-Based Approach was developed in collaboration with AP teachers, inquiry experts, and higher education faculty to support teachers in implementing the new focus on inquiry in their biology labs.
The manual's unique design enables teachers to guide students through experiments and procedures that are easily tailored to diverse needs and appropriate for small and large classes.
Note: This updated AP Biology lab manual (teacher edition) includes revised big ideas, enduring understandings, learning objectives, and science practices that align to the 2019 course and exam description. In addition, URLs and the equations and formulas sheet were updated. The changes highlighted in the supplement to the first printing have been incorporated.
The Lab Manual
- Features 13 student-directed, inquiry-based labs (teacher and student editions)
- Aligns learning objectives with the AP Biology Course and Exam Description, which contains the course framework and sample exam questions
- Aligns with best practices promoted by the National Science Foundation and America's Lab Report
- Emphasizes scientific inquiry, reasoning, and critical thinking
- Enables students to plan, direct, and integrate a range of science practices, such as designing experiments, collecting data, and applying quantitative skills
- Includes lists of supplemental resources
Access the Lab Manual
The full AP Biology Teacher lab manual, which includes the Student Lab Manual, is now available for download.