Calculators can be used on all or some parts of the AP Exams listed here (and on no others).
- Students should check the list of approved graphing calculators; bring only approved models.
- As of 2018, students taking the AP Biology Exam may use a four-function (with square root), scientific, or graphing calculator.
- Students may bring two permitted calculators. They should bring calculators they are familiar with that are in good working order. Calculators may not be shared.
- Calculator memories do not need to be cleared before or after the exam.
- If a student doesn’t want to use a calculator or if the option of providing a calculator isn’t feasible, the student may take an exam without one. However, if a student chooses to take an exam without a calculator, the student must hand copy, date, and sign the Calculator Release Statement, which is in the AP Coordinator’s Manual.
|Course||Type of calculator allowed||Exam Section I||Exam Section II|
|Biology||Four-function (with square root), scientific, or graphing calculator||Allowed||Allowed|
|Calculus AB||Graphing calculator||Required for Part B||Required for Part A|
|Calculus BC||Graphing calculator||Required for Part B||Required for Part A|
|Chemistry||A scientific calculator (must not have unapproved features or capabilities; see list of unapproved calculators and technology) or graphing calculator are recommended; a four-function calculator is allowed but not recommended.||Not Allowed||Allowed|
|Physics 1||Four-function, scientific or graphing calculator||Allowed||Allowed|
|Physics 2||Four-function, scientific or graphing calculator||Allowed||Allowed|
|Physics C: Mechanics||Four-function, scientific or graphing calculator||Allowed||Allowed|
|Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism||Four-function, scientific or graphing calculator||Allowed||Allowed|
|Statistics||Graphing calculator with statistics capabilities. Nongraphing calculators are permitted if they have the required statistics computational capabilities described in the AP Statistics Course Description.||Expected||Expected|
Calculators are not allowed for any other AP Exams, including Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, and Environmental Science.
2018-19 list of Approved Graphing Calculators
Updated August 2018
|FX-6000 Series||FX-6200 Series||FX-6300 Series|
|FX-6500 Series||FX-7000 Series||FX-7300 Series|
|FX-7400 Series||FX-7500 Series||FX-7700 Series|
|FX-7800 Series||FX-8000 Series||FX-8500 Series|
|FX-8700 Series||FX-8800 Series||Graph25 Series|
|FX-9700 Series*||FX-9750 Series*||FX-9860 Series*|
|CFX-9800 Series*||CFX-9850 Series*||CFX-9950 Series*|
|CFX-9970 Series*||FX 1.0 Series*||FX-CG-10*|
|Algebra FX 2.0 Series*||FX-CG-20 Series*||FX-CG-50*|
|Graph35 Series*||Graph75 Series*||Graph95 Series*|
|Graph100 Series*||Casio FX-CG500* (The use of the stylus is not permitted)|
|HP-39 Series*||HP-40 Series*||HP-48 Series*|
|HP-49 Series*||HP-50 Series*||HP Prime*|
|EL-5200||EL-9200 Series*||EL-9300 Series*|
|EL-9600 Series* (The use of a stylus is not permitted)||EL-9900 Series*|
|TI-82*||TI-83*/TI-83 Plus*||TI-83 Plus Silver*|
|TI-84 Plus*/TI-84 Plus CE*||TI-84 Plus Silver*||TI-84 Plus C Silver*|
|TI-84 Plus T*||TI-84 Plus CE-T*||TI-85*|
|TI-Nspire*/TI-Nspire CX*||TI-Nspire CAS*/TI-Nspire CX CAS*||TI-Nspire CM-C*/TI-Nspire CM-C CAS*|
|TI-Nspire CX-C CAS*|
* Graphing calculators with the expected built-in capabilities for AP Calculus are indicated with an asterisk. See the AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC Course Description, effective Fall 2016 for details. However, students may bring any calculator on the list to the exam; any model within each series is acceptable. Only approved graphing calculators from the list are permitted for AP Calculus Exams.
This list will be updated as necessary to include new approved calculators. Check this list periodically, and before the administration of the exams, to ensure that students have the most up-to-date information.
This list only includes approved graphing calculators. There is not an approved list of scientific (nongraphing) calculators.
Proctors are required to check calculators before the exam. Therefore, it is important for each student to have an approved calculator. Calculators may not be shared, and communication between calculators is prohibited during the exam.
Unacceptable Calculators and Technology
Students are not allowed to use any of the following:
- Phones, smartwatches or wearable technology of any kind, laptops, tablet computers, Bluetooth devices, portable listening or recording devices—MP3 player, iPod®, etc.—cameras, or other photographic equipment, devices that can access the internet, separate timers of any type, or any other electronic or communication devices with the exception of approved calculators.
- Models with QWERTY-like (i.e., typewriter) keypads as part of hardware or software (e.g., TI-92 Plus, Voyage 200)
- Models with pen-input/stylus capability (e.g., Palm, PDAs, Casio ClassPad)
- Models with wireless, Bluetooth, or cellular capability
- Models that require an electrical outlet, "talk," make noise, or have a paper tape
- Models that can access the internet
- Models that have cell phone capability or audio/video recording or playing capability
- Models that have a digital audio/video player
- Models that have a camera, scanning capability, or any other smartphone-type features
- Models with touch-screen capability that aren’t on the list of approved graphing calculators (e.g., Casio ClassPad)
- Hardware peripherals such as a stylus, keyboard, or wireless adapter with an approved calculator
School-supplied backup calculators
Proctors should have a supply of extra AP-approved calculators and fresh batteries on exam day. You should be able to provide a substitute calculator when:
- A student arrives without a calculator
- A student arrives with an unacceptable calculator
- A calculator malfunctions during the administration
If the student is unable to use the offered calculator, or is unfamiliar with its operation, or you’ve run out of or don’t have spare calculators and still have students that need them, call AP Services for Educators immediately.