2024 AP Fee Assistance Policies by State
The base AP Exam fees are as follows:
- $98 per exam at schools in the U.S., U.S. territories, Canada, and all DoDEA schools.
- $128 per exam at schools outside the U.S., U.S. territories, and Canada, with the exception of DoDEA schools. (Fees may vary for exams at College Board-authorized test centers outside the U.S.)
- $146 per exam for AP Capstone™ (AP Seminar or AP Research)
The exam fee includes a $9 rebate per exam that schools can retain to offset exam administration costs.
College Board provides a $36 fee reduction per AP Exam for eligible students with financial need. For eligibility criteria, visit AP Exam Fee Reductions. Schools are expected to forgo their $9 rebate for these students, resulting in a cost of:
- $53 per exam at schools in the U.S., U.S. territories, Canada, and all DoDEA schools
- $83 per exam at schools outside the U.S., U.S. territories, and Canada, with the exception of DoDEA schools (Fees may vary for exams at College Board-authorized test centers outside the U.S.)
- $101 per exam for AP Capstone (AP Seminar or AP Research)
Many states use federal and state funding to further reduce the exam fee for students. College Board and states are working together to provide information about 2024 subsidies in advance of the November 15 final ordering deadline wherever possible, but in some cases, states won't be able to finalize their subsidies until later in the school year.
For more information on the federal funding options available for states and districts, visit Funding for Low-Income AP Students.
If Your State Requires Students to Be Enrolled in a Course
Some states require students taking an AP Exam to be enrolled in the corresponding course in order for those students to receive state funding for their exam. Students solely enrolled in an exam only section for a given AP subject won’t receive state funding in this case. For example, students taking AP courses at a virtual school must be enrolled in both the exam only section at the school where they’ll be taking the exam and in a class section for the corresponding course through their virtual school.
If Your State Eliminates Its Subsidy
If your state provided a subsidy for low-income students’ AP Exams in 2023, and the subsidy is eliminated after you’ve submitted your 2024 AP Exam order:
- For students who choose to still take their exams: The amount that will be calculated on your invoice for these exams will reflect your state’s available funding as of the time the invoice is generated.
- For students who choose not to take their exams: No exam payment will be owed. Students’ fee reduction status must be accurately indicated in AP Registration and Ordering in order for fees to be waived.