The Bluebook™ testing app streamlines the digital testing experience for students and proctors. In May 2023, more than 3,600 schools administered 320,000 digital AP Exams.
The digital option is available to schools in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C. Here are some key facts about digital AP Exams to help you decide if digital testing is a good fit for your school. Current technical specifications are available on the Bluebook website.
Digital AP Exam Subjects
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP European History
- AP Seminar
- AP U.S. History
- AP World History: Modern
- AP African American Studies (2023-24 pilot schools only)
Offering Digital AP Exams at Your School
- Digital exams are optional. Schools make local decisions and choose to offer digital, paper, or a combination of paper and digital.
- Test previews will be available in the Bluebook app throughout the year. Students and teachers can explore sample AP Exam questions and try out the testing tools.
- Late-testing exams, if offered by the school, are in paper format only (except for AP African American Studies late-testing exams, which are in digital format).
- To order digital exams, the AP coordinator indicates the mode for relevant exams in AP Registration and Ordering.
- AP coordinators work with school or district technology staff on the school’s technical readiness for digital testing.
- A wide variety of resources are provided to help schools get ready to administer digital AP Exams.
- Full instructional planning reports will be available to schools and teachers for students who take digital AP Exams.
About Digital AP Exams
- Digital exams are proctored and administered in school on the same schedule as paper exams.
- Digital exams include the same number of sections, number and type of questions, question choice (if applicable), and timing as the paper exams.
- Students can go back within a section or part to review or complete previous questions. As on the paper exam, students may not return to parts within a section that have already been completed.
- Students can use the Bluebook testing app on a wide range of devices; Bluebook requirements are typical of other applications used in schools.
- Accommodations such as extended time are provided in Bluebook.