Information for the 2021 AP Exam administration
New! Starting in 2021, AP Chinese Language and Culture and AP Japanese Language and Culture Exams will be delivered on a new online exam application. CDs will no longer be used. AP coordinators will be emailed in March with a link to install the exam application on testing computers before exam day. These exams can be administered on Windows PCs, Chromebooks, and Mac computers that have Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari. Internet connectivity is required throughout the setup process and exam administration.
AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams must be administered in school. Testing computers must be school owned and controlled. Chromebooks must be under management control of Google G Suite for Education™. Student-owned computers cannot be used for these exams. Headsets are also required for each student testing.
The 2020-21 AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 2 provides an overview of these exams to help with planning.
This year, a new resource, the 2020-21 AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams: Setup and Administration Guide, will be available for download in late March. The guide provides instructions and support for the setup and administration of these exams, including:
- The proctor script to be used by proctors on exam day
- How to install the exam application on testing computers, including readiness checks
- How to run practice exams
- Steps for students testing with accommodations
Information about system requirements for testing computers is in the 2020-21 AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 2. Review these details with your school's IT staff to ensure the computers your school plans to use for these exams meet all requirements. If you have any technical questions, email APiBTTech@ets.org.
- Late February: We'll email AP coordinators with details about next steps to prepare for these exams. If you don't receive an email by the end of February and you ordered these exams this year, please contact AP Services.
- Late March: We'll email AP coordinators with all details needed to install, practice with, and administer the exams, including:
- The URL to install the exam application on testing computers.
- A link to the 2020-21 AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams: Setup and Administration Guide, which includes instructions for installing the exam application. The setup and administration guide will also include the proctor script for the AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams.
- Passwords and codes you and proctors will need to run the exam application on exam day.
- Late March–April: Install the exam application as soon as possible on each computer that will be used for testing. Complete installation at least a few weeks before the exam, to ensure computers are properly configured and to run practice exams.
- It’s recommended to prepare a few more computers than needed, if possible, in case a student experiences exam day issues.
- Installation includes a readiness check that needs to be run before the exam administration. Use the same headsets students will use on exam day when you complete the readiness checks.
- It’s strongly recommended that you run a practice exam to ensure the exam runs successfully and to give students an opportunity to take a practice exam, so they’ll know what to expect on exam day.
- Details about installation and running practice exams are in the 2020-21 AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams: Setup and Administration Guide.
- Within 5 days of exam day: Run a final readiness check on each testing computer within 5 days of the designated exam date. Use the same headsets students will use on exam day when you complete the readiness checks.
- May–June: The AP Exam administration. See Exam Dates for the full exam schedule for Administrations 1, 2, and 3. You can only administer exams on the date(s) you’ve ordered exams for.
- Ensure all readiness checks have been completed on testing computers within 5 days of the scheduled exam date.
- Provide proctors with all codes necessary for the exam administration. See the 2020-21 AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams: Setup and Administration Guide for details.
AP Chinese and AP Japanese Exams are ordered through AP Registration and Ordering in the same way as all other exam subjects. For more information about ordering AP Exams, go to Ordering Exam Materials.
Please call the College Board SSD office immediately if any students are planning to take AP Chinese or AP Japanese Exams with accommodations and provide detailed information about the accommodations they need.
Fee Reductions and Class Sections
You don't need to complete a separate Fee Reduction/Section Designation Form for students taking these exams. You'll create class sections for AP Chinese and AP Japanese before the start of the school year at the same time you create all other class sections in AP Registration and Ordering.
You'll indicate the fee reduction status for these students only in AP Registration and Ordering, as you will for students taking any other AP Exams. Fee reduction status needs to be indicated by April 30, 2021, 11:59 p.m. ET. See more information about Accessing and Using AP Registration and Ordering.
AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 1 2020-21
This manual provides detailed information about everything AP coordinators need to do from the start of the school year through the November 13 exam ordering deadline.
AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 2 2020-21
This manual provides detailed information about this year’s paper and pencil AP Exams, including exam administration policies and procedures and post-exam tasks.