AP Human Geography Exam
The AP Human Geography Exam has question types and point values that will remain stable from year to year, so you and your students know what to expect on exam day.
Section I: Multiple Choice
60 Questions | 1 Hour | 50% of Exam Score
- Individual questions.
- Set-based questions.
- Approximately 30%–40% of the multiple-choice questions will reference stimulus material, including maps, tables, charts, graphs, images, infographics, and/or landscapes, roughly evenly divided between quantitative and qualitative sources.
Section II: Free Response
3 Questions | 1 Hour 15 Minutes | 50% of Exam Score
- Each free-response question presents students with an authentic geographic situation or scenario and assesses students’ ability to describe, explain, and apply geographic concepts, processes, or models, as they analyze geographic patterns, relationships, and outcomes in applied contexts.
- Question 1 does not include any stimuli.
- Question 2 includes 1 stimulus (data, image, or map).
- Question 3 includes 2 stimuli (data, images, and/or maps).
- At least one of the free-response questions assess students’ ability to analyze across geographic scales to explain spatial relationships.
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
2022: Free-Response Questions
Samples and Commentary