- By March 12 (11:59 p.m. ET), the only thing AP coordinators need to do in AP Registration and Ordering is confirm their student roster is accurate (reflecting updates to student enrollment) and all students who plan to test during any exam administration have an Order Exam status of Yes, and submit updates, if any.
- By April 1, any school planning to administer any paper and pencil exams needs to ensure that paper and pencil exam dates are indicated for each student within AP Registration and Ordering and submit updates to the exam order. After April 1, you can only shift from digital to paper and pencil exams if our shipping timeframes can accommodate that.
- After April 1, you can move students from paper and pencil to digital testing up to 7 days before each digital exam. See the AP Digital Testing Guide for step-by-step instructions.
AP Registration and Ordering
FRI, OCT 2
FRI, NOV 13,
FRI, MAR 12,
Confirm All Students Who Plan to Test
UPDATE: By this date AP coordinators need to confirm in AP Registration and Ordering that the student roster is accurate and all students who plan to test during any exam administration have an Order Exam status of Yes, and submit updates, if any.
THU, APR 1
May–June Deadline to Switch a Student to a Digital AP Exam (Administration 2 or Administration 3)
If you need to switch students with an existing exam order to a digital exam during Administration 2 or 3, this must be indicated in AP Registration and Ordering no later than 11:59 p.m. EDT, 7 calendar days before the scheduled digital exam date. See the exam schedules for Administration 2 and Administration 3.
FRI, MAY 7
Deadline to Switch a Student to Administration 2 Paper Exams (Outside U.S.)
This is the last day for AP coordinators outside of the United States to switch students with existing exam orders to paper and pencil exams and/or Chinese and Japanese exams in Administration 2.
FRI, MAY 14
Deadline to Switch a Student to Administration 2 Paper Exams (U.S.)
This is the last day for AP coordinators in the United States to switch students with existing exam orders to paper and pencil exams and/or Chinese and Japanese exams in Administration 2.
Review the Annual Calendar and Deadlines for 2020-21.
Update 2020-21: In 2021, exams during Administration 1 will all be in-school paper exams (plus AP Chinese and Japanese online exams, which also must be administered in school). Digital exams are available during Administrations 2 and 3, to be administered in school or taken at home, if authorized by the AP coordinator. Review updated details about the 2021 AP Exam administration options and how to assign students to a later exam administration.
Given this year’s unusual circumstances, to support students in making their exam registration decisions in the fall, the unused/canceled exam fee won’t be applied if a student later decides not to take an exam that was ordered for them.
AP coordinators submit exam orders through AP Registration and Ordering. The AP Participation Form must be electronically signed and submitted online through AP Registration and Ordering before you can order exams. You’ll need to complete initial setup in AP Registration and Ordering to generate your AP Participation Form.
Important: If your school’s exam order is submitted after November 13 because your school’s AP Participation Form wasn’t submitted, the $40 per exam late order fee will apply to each exam included in your order.
For a complete overview of the AP Exam ordering process, please review the following Manage Registration and Ordering pages:
- Access and Initial Setup in AP Registration and Ordering
- Class Section Creation and Join Codes
- Student Enrollment
- Exam Order Finalization
Special Ordering Circumstances
See specific policies for these situations:
- Late testing
- Courses that begin after November 13
- Homeschooled students, independent study students, virtual school students, and students from other schools
- Schools that administer AP Exams but don’t offer AP courses
- Schools that do not administer AP Exams
- Students testing with accommodations
- Transfer students to or out of your school
AP Digital Testing Guide
Updated May 3
View the AP Digital Testing Guide for detailed information about 2021 digital AP Exams.
AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 1 2020-21
This manual provides detailed information about everything AP coordinators need to do from the start of the school year through the November 13 exam ordering deadline.
AP Coordinator's Manual, Part 2 2020-21
Updated May 2021
This manual provides detailed information about this year’s paper and pencil AP Exams, including exam administration policies and procedures and post-exam tasks. Note: The May update is a clarification to the packing list information on p.90.