Alternate AP Exam policies
Some circumstances may make it necessary for students to test late. To preserve the security of AP Exams, the AP Program develops alternate forms of each exam for late testing. Regularly scheduled exams can’t be used for late testing.
If a school administers late-testing exams, students must test on the scheduled late-testing dates at the scheduled times. If a school fails to follow AP security procedures and doesn’t administer the alternate exams on the specified dates at the specified times, scores for those exams will be canceled.
NOTE: All late-testing AP Exams are paper, including subjects with a digital option, with the exception of AP African American Studies.
Ordering exams for late testing
- Review the late-testing schedule for the complete list of dates.
- Alternate exams for late testing must be ordered through AP Registration and Ordering.
- Schools are encouraged to place orders for alternate exams as early as possible. You’ll be able to switch existing exam orders to late testing after the ordering deadlines if needed without incurring a late order fee. See the AP Coordinator’s Manual, Part 1 (pdf/18.83 MB) for details.
A reason needs to be indicated in AP Registration and Ordering when switching an exam order to a late-testing exam date. When the cause of late testing is beyond the control of the school and the student, there’s no additional fee—most reasons for late testing don’t incur a fee.
Some reasons may incur an additional $40 per exam late testing fee, such as retesting due to security violations.
The late-testing reasons allowed without incurring an additional fee are:
- Academic contest/event
- Athletic contest/event
- Conflict with IB or Cambridge exam
- Conflict with nationally, province-, or state-mandated test
- Delayed shipment
- Disabilities accommodations issues
- Emergency: bomb scare or fire alarm
- High school graduation
- Language lab scheduling conflict
- Makeup AP Exam due to an incident during the initial exam
- Religious holiday/observance
- School closing: election, national holiday, or natural disaster
- Serious injury, illness, or family tragedy
- Strike/labor conflict
- Student court appearance
- 2 or more AP Exams on the same date at the same time