The AP Microeconomics Exam includes two sections. The first section contains 60 multiple-choice questions. The second section is the free-response section, which includes one long question and two short questions. Below is a detailed breakdown of both the multiple choice and free-response sections.
Starting with the 2023 exam, a four-function calculator is permitted for use on both sections of the exam.
Section I: Multiple Choice
60 Questions | 1 Hour 10 Minutes | 66% of Exam Score
Questions require the use of economics content knowledge and reasoning across the range of course topics and skills in skill categories 1, 2, and 3.
Section II: Free Response
3 Questions | 1 Hour (includes a 10-minute reading period) | 33% of Exam Score
- 1 long free-response question (50% of section score).
- 2 short free-response questions (each worth 25% of section score).
- Students will be asked to:
- Make assertions about economic concepts, principles, models, outcomes, and/or effects
- Explain economic concepts, principles, models, outcomes, and/or effects
- Perform numerical analysis
- Create graphs or visual representations
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
2023: Free-Response Questions
Samples and Commentary