Exam questions assess the course concepts and skills outlined in the course framework. For more information, download the AP Latin Course and Exam Description (CED).
Encourage your students to visit the AP Latin student page for exam information.
The AP Latin Exam has consistent question types, weighting, and rubrics every year, so you and your students know what to expect on exam day.
Section I: Multiple Choice
50 Questions | 1 Hour | 50% of Exam Score
- Syllabus Reading: Vergil (10–12 questions)
- Syllabus Reading: Caesar (10–12 questions)
- Sight Reading: Poetry (13–15 questions)
- Sight Reading: Prose (13–15 questions)
- Students will be asked to:
- demonstrate knowledge of Latin vocabulary
- explain the meaning of Latin words and phrases in context
- use specific terminology to identify grammatical forms and syntactic structures
- demonstrate knowledge of Latin syntax to read and comprehend Latin texts
- scan dactylic hexameter in Latin poetry
- identify stylistic features in Latin poetry and prose
- identify references to Roman culture, history, and mythology in Latin texts
- demonstrate overall comprehension of passages in Latin texts
- demonstrate knowledge of Roman culture and historical events
Section II: Free Response
5 Questions | 2 Hours (includes a 15-minute reading period) | 50% of Exam Score
- Translation: Vergil (1 passage, approximately 35 words) and Caesar (1 passage, approximately 40 words)
- Analytical essay (1 prompt, 2 passages in Latin)
- Students will be asked to analyze either 2 Vergil passages, 2 Caesar passages, or 1 Vergil passage and 1 Caesar passage. (poetry 12–16 lines, prose 80–120 words)
- Students will need to analyze the effects of language usage and stylistic features, supporting their argument using relevant evidence from the texts and readings in English.
- Short answer: Vergil (1 passage of 5–10 lines with 5–7 questions) and Caesar (1 passage of 50–75 words with 5–7 questions)
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
2023: Free-Response Questions
Samples and Commentary
Past Exam Questions and Scoring Information
AP Latin Past Exam Questions
View free-response questions and scoring information from past exams.