Exam questions assess the course concepts and skills outlined in the course framework. For more information, download the AP Biology Course and Exam Description (CED).
Encourage your students to visit the AP Biology student page for exam information.
The AP Biology Exam has question types and point values that remain stable and consistent from year to year, so you and your students know what to expect on exam day.
Section I: Multiple Choice
60 Questions | 1 hour 30 Minutes | 50% of Exam Score
- Individual questions
- Sets of questions with 4–5 questions per set
Section II: Free Response
6 Questions | 1 hour 30 Minutes | 50% of Exam Score
- There are 2 long questions and 4 short questions. Long questions are worth 8–10 points each; short questions are worth 4 points each.
- The long questions ask students to:
- Interpret and evaluate experimental results
- Interpret and evaluate experimental results with graphing
- The short-answer questions assess students’ understanding of the following:
- Scientific investigation
- Conceptual analysis
- Analysis of a model or visual representation
- Data analysis
AP Calculator Policy and Equations and Formulas Sheet
A four-function (with square root), scientific, or graphing calculator may be used on the exam.
Students are permitted to use the AP Biology Equations and Formulas Sheet on the exam. This resource is also available in Appendix A of the CED.
Calculator Policies and Approved Calculators
Make sure you and your students know what calculators are permitted.
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
2022: Free-Response Questions
Samples and Commentary
Past Exam Questions and Scoring Information
AP Biology Past Exam Questions
View free-response questions and scoring information from past exams. 1997 - Current Year