Most virtual schools do not order AP Exams directly, so you’ll have to follow a specific set of steps to order exams for students from virtual schools who are testing at your school.
Exam orders for virtual school students should be submitted by the November 13 final ordering deadline. You can add an exam order for students after November 13 (and by March 12, 2021), but the $40 per exam late order fee will apply, unless the student is enrolled in a second semester course at their school and is in both a class section and an exam only section (see details below).
If your school agrees to order and administer exams to these students:
- Inform the students of your school’s ordering deadline and of any late order fee that may apply.
- Create an exam only section for each exam subject being taken at your school by a virtual school student. See How do I create exam only sections?
- Virtual schools will need to create separate class sections to allow students to access AP Classroom resources.
- Provide the join code for the exam only section to the student, so the student can enroll in the section in My AP. Only the AP coordinator can create and provide the join code for an exam only section. See How do I find the join code for a class section or exam only section?
- Review the student’s information in your exam roster and order the necessary exams.
- Inform students when and where to take exams.
- Plan to collect and submit their exam fees with those from your school.
If a student is enrolled in a course at their virtual school that starts after November 13, the student should be enrolled in both:
- The second-semester class section for the subject at the school they attend. The student’s exam order status should be No for this class section.
- The exam only section for the subject at the school where they’re taking the exam. The student’s exam order status should be Yes for this exam only section.
By being enrolled in both the class section at the school they attend and the exam only section at the school where they’re taking the exam, the late order fee won’t be applied for the student’s exam(s). If the student isn’t enrolled in a class section at the school they attend, you can still submit an exam order for them after November 13, but in this case the $40 per exam late order fee would apply. Submit the exam order for these students by March 12, 2021 (11:59 p.m. ET).
There are additional reasons why a student taking an AP course through a virtual school may need to be enrolled in both a class section and an exam only section. For details see How do virtual school students enroll in class sections and exam only sections?
For additional information about exam only and class sections for additional student groups, see How do I order exams for homeschooled students, independent study students, or students from other schools?