Where can I find out if my school is classified as "rural" by the NCES?

Use the National Center for Education Statistics website to search for your school. In the "School Details" section, check the designation for "Locale."

Public school search:

Private school search:

If the NCES does not have your school’s information, we suggest reaching out to your principal or school administration to find the most accurate information to report on your application.

NOTE: All islands of Hawaii, except Oahu, will be considered “rural” regardless of the NCES data.

Also Found On