English 10: AP Seminar is a flexible course offering, with no prerequisites for students. After completing it, students are eligible to take the subsequent course, AP Research. To get started with English 10: AP Seminar, have a school or district leader complete the required sign-up form.
Schools that choose to offer both English 10: AP Seminar and AP Research can participate in the AP Capstone Diploma™ program. Participating in the diploma program is completely optional; schools may offer English 10: AP Seminar as a standalone course.
Students who complete both AP Seminar and AP Research—part of the AP Capstone Diploma program—can earn one of two different AP Capstone awards, which are valued by colleges across the United States and around the world.
Instructional Resources for Teachers
Teachers who are new to teaching AP Seminar as English 10 can take advantage of the following instructional resources.
Instructional Guide: Strategies to incorporate English 10 skills such as literary analysis and creative writing into the course.
Sample Syllabus A: Integrates full literary texts (Night, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Macbeth) into the course and suggests a final unit to address narrative writing standards
Sample Syllabus B: Weaves literary fiction and non-fiction texts throughout the course.
Sample Syllabus C: Connects longer works read over the summer to shorter texts (including artistic works) based on thematic links.
See the full AP Seminar Course and Exam Description.
Teachers can also find answers to key curricular and instructional questions by viewing the following YouTube videos:
- What’s AP Seminar? How does it relate to English 10?
- How can I organize my course?
- Can I still teach literary texts?
- Can I still teach a wide variety of writing types?
For even more information, listen to Season 6, Episode 3, of the Coordinated podcast.
Take Advantage of Professional Learning
New English 10: AP Seminar teachers must complete summer professional learning before their first year teaching the course.
AP Seminar professional learning opportunities tailored for teachers in English language arts departments will be hosted by select AP Summer Institutes.
Get more information about professional learning for the AP Capstone Diploma program.
Two Steps to Offer English 10: AP Seminar at Your School
1. Join Today: Both schools that are interested in offering English 10: AP Seminar and those that are also interested in offering AP Research should have a school or district leader complete the required sign-up form.
2. Register for Professional Learning: Ensure your new English 10: AP Seminar teachers are registered for required summer professional learning. Schools and/or district leaders who complete the required sign-up form will be notified when summer professional learning registration becomes available in early spring.