Course and Exam Updates
AP Macroeconomics Exam
The AP Macroeconomics Exam includes two sections. The first section contains 60 multiple-choice questions. The second section is the free-response section, which includes one long question and two short questions. Below is a detailed breakdown of both the multiple choice and free-response sections.
Starting with the 2023 exam, a four-function calculator is permitted for use on both sections of the exam.
Section I: Multiple Choice
60 Questions | 1 Hour 10 Minutes | 66% of Exam Score
Questions require the use of economics content knowledge and reasoning across the range of course topics and skills in skill categories 1, 2, and 3.
Section II: Free Response
3 Questions | 1 Hour (includes a 10-minute reading period) | 33% of Exam Score
- 1 long free-response question (50% of section score).
- 2 short free-response questions (each worth 25% of section score).
- Students will be asked to:
- Make assertions about economic concepts, principles, models, outcomes, and/or effects
- Explain economic concepts, principles, models, outcomes, and/or effects
- Perform numerical analysis
- Create graphs or visual representations
Exam Questions and Scoring Information
Please note: Effective June 1, 2022, some questions from previous AP Macroeconomics Exams may not perfectly align with the course updates that take effect starting with the May 2023 exam. These questions remain available because teachers indicate that imperfectly aligned questions still provide instructional value.
2022: Free-Response Questions
Samples and Commentary