This workshop will provide materials and experiences to support mathematics and science teachers in teaching the central elements of statistical analysis. You will explore the data analysis topics taught in middle and secondary grades using examples of activities where students collect data, use graphs and numerical summaries to get information from data, and communicate that information.
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Provide problem-solving settings that build on the use of real data and incorporate active learning.
- Enhance students’ understanding of statistical concepts and encourage statistical thinking.
- Leverage strategies for questioning students and guiding discussions as students consider sample selection, data collection, and data analysis.
- Go “beyond the textbook” in addressing statistical topics.
- Start to design a curriculum that will promote thinking about, and enhance understanding of, introductory statistical topics.