Register Your School
- Any school around the world that wishes to administer AP Exams must follow standard procedures. Start by completing a few simple steps to get approved.
- Read details about deadlines, security policies, and procedures for ordering, administering, and paying for exams.
- Keep your school's AP contacts current. For security purposes, AP can only discuss your school's AP program administration with the AP coordinator, principal, and alternate AP coordinator indicated on your school's AP Participation Form.
- Access to AP Registration and Ordering is provided to the principal or AP coordinator starting in August of the year prior to exams. AP coordinators will need to complete the AP Participation Form in AP Registration and Ordering before exams can be ordered.
- AP Exam orders must be submitted in November the year prior to exams.
Administering AP Exams
- AP Exams are administered annually in the first 2 weeks of May. Early testing or testing at times other than those published by College Board is not permitted under any circumstances.
- Your school can decide whether to permit students from other schools and homeschooled students to take AP Exams at your school.
Testing in China
Information for Schools in China
Not every school in China is permitted to administer AP Exams, even if authorized to offer AP courses. Your school will be informed at the time you receive your AP School Code if you’re able to administer exams or not:
- Schools authorized by the AP Program to administer AP Exams should follow standard procedures for exam administration. These schools may choose to administer AP Exams to their own students as well as to external students. Students attending these schools should get information about AP Exams from their school's AP coordinator.
- Schools governed by the Chinese Ministry of Education that serve Chinese nationals must instruct their students to take AP Exams at designated test centers operated by Prometric, an AP testing partner for 2022-23. Schools and students must follow Prometric’s timeline for China to register in fall 2022 for May 2023 AP Exams. Instructions to register with Prometric will be sent directly to the school’s AP coordinator. Students can visit the Prometric site for more information.
Information for Students in China
- Chinese nationals:
- Students attending an AP school assigned to an AP authorized test center run by Prometric will receive exam registration instructions from their AP coordinator.
- Students interested in taking AP Exam subjects not offered at AP test centers in mainland China, as well as students not eligible to register at a test center in mainland China, have the option to register with other open test centers (see below).
- Foreign nationals studying in China: International students who aren’t enrolled at an AP school or who are visiting/traveling in China during the exam period can find an alternate school for testing (see below).
- Note: Students must be registered for AP Exams by November prior to the testing year—registration deadlines will vary. Not all schools/test centers offer registration past November and those that do may charge late registration fees.
Testing at Alternate Schools or Open Test Centers
If for any reason your school is not yet ready to administer AP Exams, but you’re approached by homeschooled or self-study/independent study students who need a place to test, you may recommend the following options:
- Find an alternate school for testing. There may be schools nearby that accommodate external students; if not, the student may need to expand their search area.
- Find test centers authorized by the AP Program in:
Check with each school or test center for registration policies and procedures. Fees, subjects offered, registration deadlines, cancel/refund policies, ID requirements, and additional testing policies may vary.
If you're sending students to test at another school or an AP test center, your school will only receive a student's scores if:
- Your school is indicated in the student's registration in My AP as the school they attend.
- A student taking an individual course at your school is enrolled in the corresponding class section for that subject through My AP.
AP Services for Educators
If your school is considering adding AP or if you have questions, contact AP Services for Educators:
Live Chat: A blue Live Chat button will appear on the right side of an AP Central page when a direct connection to an AP Services for Educators representative is available during business hours.