Professional development is required for all AP Seminar and AP Research instructors. Teachers must complete curricular training prior to the first year of teaching each course. In addition, teachers must complete online assessment scoring training each year.
Required AP Research Curriculum Training
The summer before their first year teaching AP Research, instructors must complete a five-day workshop for the course. Instructors are required to attend a five-day workshop offered by select AP Summer Institutes one time prior to teaching each course—this is not an annual requirement.
Required AP Research Online Scoring Training
Each year, all AP Research teachers must take and pass the Presentation and Oral Defense (POD) certification test in order to submit scores for that performance task component. In addition, a separate activity within the POD instructional module addressing student plagiarism is required. Training is available to teachers annually, in December.
To access the training:
- Sign in to My AP.
- Click the AP Classroom link directly below the timeline.
- If AP Research is your only AP subject, you'll go directly to AP Classroom. If you teach multiple subjects, you'll need to choose AP Research from a list first.
- Click Professional Learning at the top right of the page.
- On the Instructional Modules tab, click the blue drop-down arrow to see all the activities in the desired module.
- Once you've completed the activities in the POD instructional module, go to the corresponding Certification Test tab to take the test.
The suggested completion date for the POD certification test and plagiarism activity is Friday, March 27. Teachers must enter student presentation scores and students must submit their work as final in the AP Digital Portfolio by the College Board deadline on April 30, 11:59 p.m. ET.