Getting to Know the AP Chinese Language and Culture Course
The key document for each AP course is the course and exam description. Start by reviewing it to understand the objectives and expectations of the course and exam.
Your course must fulfill these requirements.
AP Chinese Language and Culture curricular requirements:
- The teacher uses Chinese almost exclusively in class and encourages students to do likewise.
- The course provides opportunities for students to engage in interdisciplinary course content and develop skills through the suggested course themes: Families and Communities, Personal and Public Identities, Beauty and Aesthetics, Science and Technology, Contemporary Life, Global Challenges; or another organizing approach integrating language, content, and culture.
- The course provides opportunities for students to demonstrate an understanding of the products, practices, and perspectives of the target cultures.
- The course provides opportunities for students to make cultural comparisons.
- Instructional materials include a variety of authentic audio, visual, and audiovisual sources and authentic written texts.
- The course provides opportunities for students to practice and develop the skills in each skill category:
- Skill Category 1: Comprehend written, audio, audiovisual, and visual text (Interpretive Mode)
- Skill Category 2: Make interdisciplinary and cultural connections (Interpretive Mode)
- Skill Category 3: Interpret the content of written and audio text (Interpretive Mode)
- Skill Category 4: Make meanings from words and expressions (Interpretive Mode)
- Skill Category 5: Communicate interpersonally by speaking with others (Interpersonal Mode)
- Skill Category 6: Communicate interpersonally by writing to others (Interpersonal Mode)
- Skill Category 7: Communicate through spoken presentations (Presentational Mode)
- Skill Category 8: Communicate through written presentations (Presentational Mode)
- The course prepares students to use the target language in real-life settings.
- The course provides students with opportunities to develop skills in handwriting Chinese characters and using a selected writing system (simplified or traditional characters) consistently in their writing.
- The course provides students with opportunities to develop keyboarding skills in Hanyu Pinyin or bo-po-mo-fo.
AP Chinese Language and Culture resource requirements:
- The school ensures that each student has a copy of printed course materials for use inside and outside of the classroom, and has access to an in-school computer capable of inputting and displaying simplified and traditional Chinese characters.
- The school facilitates student use, outside of instructional time, of in-school or public library computers capable of inputting and displaying simplified and traditional Chinese characters.
- The school provides audio and video equipment and materials that allow for ongoing opportunities to develop proficiency across the 3 modes of communication. This equipment can include video or DVD players or computers, language labs, handheld digital recorders, iPads, or compact disc players.
Because world language instruction targets proficiency building, which can be accomplished in multiple ways with or without a specific textbook, the AP Chinese Language and Culture course does not have a list of example textbooks that meet the curricular requirements of AP Chinese Language and Culture.