Preparing for a successful testing experience
All student audio responses (oral free-response tasks in French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture, and sight-singing free-response tasks in Music Theory) must be submitted in digital MP3 format using a web-based platform—the Digital Audio Submission (DAS) portal.
What is DAS?
The DAS portal is a website that schools will use to efficiently and securely upload and submit students' recorded responses. The DAS portal is used only for submitting files to the AP Program. It is not a recording method.
The DAS portal works like this:
- In April, AP coordinators at schools that ordered AP Music Theory and/or AP French, German, Italian, or Spanish Language and Culture exams receive an email with DAS portal access information.
- Each AP coordinator and school staff member needing access to the DAS portal must have their own account. After creating an account, the AP coordinator receives access information to share with any other school staff who will help with uploading and submitting students' recorded responses. With this information, school staff create their own accounts. (Note: Because AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture teachers and AP Music Theory teachers cannot have any access to student recordings, these teachers are not permitted to have DAS portal accounts or any access to the DAS portal. Teachers can still serve as proctors for exams in a subject area other than the one in which they teach or have taught. See the AP Coordinator’s Manual for details.)
- During the exam, students record their responses using digital recording technology. Recorded responses are saved and named following the instructions in the 2017-18 AP Exam Instructions.
- After the exam, school staff ensure that all student response files are accessible on a computer. School staff login to the DAS portal from a computer with internet access, select the exam name in the portal, upload each student's recorded response file, and submit all files to the AP Program for scoring.
For more information:
- Review Related Resources.
- Access a recorded webinar walkthrough and demo of the DAS portal. (Note: This webinar was recorded in spring 2017 and provides a general overview of the DAS portal.)
- A computer (Mac or PC) with access to the internet
- Access to the student audio response files
- Supported web browser: Internet Explorer (11.0), Firefox (41 or above), Safari (8.0 or below), or Google Chrome (45 or above)
DAS portal Help and FAQsThis is an updated version for 2017-18.
AP Coordinator's Manual 2017-2018
This manual is the primary source of information for AP coordinators on nearly all aspects of the AP Program and the AP Exam administration.
AP Exam Instructions 2017-18
An all-inclusive guide containing scripts and instructions for every AP Exam.