Digital Audio Capture (DAC) App
In 2018, the Digital Audio Capture (DAC) app will be available as a recording method for AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture Exams and AP Music Theory Exams.
The DAC app:
- Simplifies the recording and upload process: With other recording methods, school staff must save, name, and upload students’ files after the exam. The DAC app handles these steps. After an exam that used the DAC app for recording, school staff only need to log in to the DAS portal to submit the files for scoring.
- Ensures exam security: The DAC app has built-in security measures that restrict access to other applications on the iPad tablet. Once the DAC app is launched, students will not be able to access the internet or other apps.
- Is a free app: In the spring, coordinators will get an email announcing that the DAC app is available for download.
- Can be used for practice before the exam: Coordinators will get instructions for student practice with the app before the exam. This will ensure that students are confident using the app.
Using the DAC App
- After coordinators receive the announcement email in the spring, download and install the DAC app on iPad models that will be used during the exam administration (see Technical Requirements).
- Follow the proctor script for the DAC app in the AP Exam Instructions to use the DAC app to record students' speaking or sight-singing responses on exam day.
- The DAC app correctly names students' files and directly uploads them to the Digital Audio Submission (DAS) portal.
- The AP coordinator or other authorized staff person logs in to the DAS portal from a computer connected to the internet after the exam administration to submit the files for scoring.
Check back for updated information about specific supported models and operating systems.
- The DAC app can be used on iPad, iPad Air®, iPad mini™, and iPad Pro™. (Android™ and ChromeOS™ operating systems are not supported in 2018 and cannot be used.) Check back for specific supported models.
- The iPads used during exam administration must be school-owned and controlled, must remain in the school at all times, and must not be assigned or issued to specific students.
- Schools may not use iPhones® or student-owned or controlled devices.
- There must be a WiFi connection in the testing room, in order to upload files directly to the DAS portal.
- The iPad must have a minimum of 20MB of storage space available for the app.
- The AP Digital Audio Capture (DAC) App Overview is a step-by-step guide to downloading, installing, configuring, and using the DAC app. It also contains FAQs and information specific to using the app for practice before the exam. (Updated version for 2017-18 available in the spring)
- AP Digital Audio Capture (DAC) App Troubleshooting Help explains the steps to resolve any technical errors that may occur while using the DAC app. (Updated version for 2017-18 available in the spring)