Parents and students cannot order AP Exams directly. The AP Program encourages AP coordinators to assist homeschooled students, independent study students, and students whose schools don’t offer AP Exams, if possible to do so safely this year.
If your school agrees to order and administer exams to these students:
- Inform the students of your school’s ordering deadline.
- Create an exam only section for each exam subject being taken at your school by a homeschooled student, independent study student, or student from another school. See How do I create an exam only section?
- Provide the join code for the exam only section to the student, so the student can enroll in the section in My AP. Only the AP coordinator can create and provide the join code for an exam only section. See How do I find the join code for a class section or exam only section?
- Review the student’s information in your exam roster and order the necessary exams.
- Inform students when and where to take exams.
- Plan to collect and submit their exam fees with those from your school.
Updates for 2020-21:
Due to ongoing social distancing guidelines this year, homeschooled students may need more time to find a school where they’ll be able to take AP Exams. This year the AP Program will waive the late order fee for homeschooled students who are added to your exam order after November 13. You’ll need to call AP Services for Educators to request that the late order fee be waived for a homeschooled student added to your order after November 13. Homeschooled students must be included in your exam order by the March 12 spring course orders and fall order changes deadline.
Exam orders for Independent study students, virtual school students, or students from other schools (not homeschooled students) should be submitted by the November 13 final ordering deadline. You can add an exam order for these students after November 13 (by March 12, 2021), but the $40 per exam late order fee will apply.
For additional information about exam only and class sections for virtual school students, see How do virtual school students enroll in class sections and exam only sections?